04-22-2020, 11:24 PM   #24
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckybadger View Post
I enjoyed my 2004 & 2014 X5's, both with 4.4 V8's but they started to look like all the other SUV's on the road, especially the "hockey stick" rear taillights. I really like the redesign of my 2020 X6 M50i & it gives me that exclusivity that I like. The power and handling of a vehicle that size is unreal. LOVE IT
Well, I'm with puckybadger, but I'm biased as well, as I just took delivery of my X6, M50i on 3/28. As has been said by many: "Too each their own" and reactions to the X6 are either that you love it or you hate it. That's because it's "different"...and "different" always gets that reaction.

My thoughts:
- I had an E70 X5 (35d) and an F15 X5 (35d). Loved them both. Love the new X6 even more. It may not technically have better drive dynamics, but it feels like it does. Center of gravity has to be slightly lower with less cabin up high...I've also driven several G05 X5's as loaners over the past few months...they feel very different. Again, could just be a feel thing.
- Also agree with the desire to have some exclusivity. Not many X6's driving around.
- I didn't like the previous X6 models as well as the looks on this one...Love the grill on the new one, as I love the nod to the 8 Series
- BMW building an X8/X8M has zero to do with the X6. (I don't get the logic on that one...Are X5's crap because they built an X7??)
- The X6 does have the same 40/20/40 back seat folding as the X5. Not sure why that's mis-understood. (CarWow even says it does...)
- As far as the CarWow negatives:
-- The fold-up luggage cover. I'd tend to agree. It seems a little "cheap", compared to the roller one in the X5s. The "auto" one is available, but that would interfere with a full-sized cargo mat for me, so I didn't consider it...However, it easily folds over and I've yet to actually have the visibility block that he mentions. It could happen, but it's pretty obvious that it folds over.
-- Dirty sills. I agree in principle. It almost feels like the door isn't sealing, but then you realize where the seal is and how the door fits.
-- Lumbar support. Could be a difference between the UK spec and the USA spec. I got the Luxury Seating Package. Has lumbar support. Didn't note if others didn't...
-- Non B&W speaker cover. I hadn't actually noticed it. Nitpicking?
-- Digital Key Fob. Well, that doesn't come with the US Spec anyway. And, that's not unique to the X6. So, seems lame to mention that as a knock on the X6...

Other points in the CarWow video:
- Rear window visibility. He's absolutely correct. You have much, much less visibility out the back than the G05. (You have less out the front too, as the A pillars are a bit more "prominent".) It's a coupe "up top", so you get coupe visibility, not an SUV's visibility. I wouldn't get a G06 without the tech to give you all of the camera views. This visibility was the #1 item that made me "think" about whether or not I really wanted the G06 over the G05. In the end, the pluses far outweighed the minuses...)
- Non-functional rear vents. Agree. Why not make them functional? (Note: He didn't mention that the front vents right behind the front wheel wells aren't functional either. Are they functional on the G05? (I've never actually noticed...))
- Rear seating headroom. I'm 6'1" and fit just fine. While it's less than the G05, they sank the rear seats down a bit more to provide more headroom, as compared to the F16 and it makes a big difference in headroom.
- USB-C ports in the back of the front seats. Again, must be a difference between UK and US specs. I have Luxury Seating Package and have the USB-C jacks, just like the G05. No difference there...

Again, to each their own...
Appreciate 4