03-02-2020, 12:53 PM   #22
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Well, my first try at this didn't go as smoothly as yours. Received the unit on Sat morning, D440-0047, everything looks right. Hood up, car locked, take the key far away, wait 15min. Install harness in the two spots (3pin near the front, 4 pin in the middle), tie wrap everything. Car on, engine off, the unit LED lights up and ... everything from then on went badly. Summary:
  • the D-SPORT app on iOS mostly wouldn't find the unit at all (just sits there scanning for BT devices, finding nothing); but when it did find it and switched to an intro splash screen, it then immediately crashed within 0.5-1 seconds; tried reboots, swipe aways, re-installs ... on 3 different iPhone models (6, 8, and XR) with 3 different iOS versions (12.4.3, 13.3, and 13.3.1)
  • started engine, car idled rough then settled down after a few seconds; but if you give it a little revs (even below 3000 rpm), wouldn't spin up, be very rough, or even stalled a few times
  • decided to go slow around the block; CEL blaring, continuous stalling, barely made it back to the garage
Obviously I immediately removed it; car went back to normal, but I now have "permanent" CEL "boost pressure too high" codes everywhere.

Discussed with Dinan, they assert it's a defective unit and we've arranged for my local distributor to get a replacement, should be in next weekend. That's good customer service, even on the weekend! But I sure hope it was a rare defect, was really looking forward to a simple gentle boost to stock. Wondering what warranty impact the CEL codes will have if there is an issue. Will report back after next weekend.
did you get a replacement yet from Dinan and try it out?
Appreciate 0