View Single Post
      01-07-2021, 10:19 AM   #1
MrAH
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Exhaust Valve Useful Info

I have recently done a muffler delete on the X5 40i, but decided to keep the exhaust valve. It seems that my valve could not handle the added pressure with the absence of the muffler and started to rattle. To keep the valve open to stop the rattling, I looked into keeping the valve fully open.

After playing around with it, I believe the easiest way to do it without any apps is to disconnect the actual control cable that is plugged into the valve. This must be done when the valve is open. Now, my dilemma was, I was reading the valve only opens above certain rpm in sport mode. I realized this is true, but the VALVE ALSO REMAINS OPEN BY DEFAULT WHEN THE CAR IS OFF. This was a very useful discovery as now, all you need to do is unplug the black wire while the car is off, without having to fumble with the fuse (203, irrc).

I did drive around for a little while before turning the engine off and locking the car to check the valve, so if your valve is not closed by default, you may need to drive the car for a little bit before turning the engine off to have the valve open.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0