04-15-2021, 12:26 AM   #2
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by colox5 View Post
Hey all, quick one. We noticed our X5 was missing the plastic cover plate for one of the lidar sensors on the front, I thought, but turns out it is the cover for the front bumper tow hook. 6K miles on the X5 and we assumed it was poorly installed. My wife took it to the dealer today to get fixed and they charged her for the part and labor. They claim we must have hit something...I feel like we would have heard hitting something that substantial that would knock this plate off. Anyone have experience here?

I'm planning to call back and argue that we should not have had to pay for it. First off, we have an extra warranty on top of the standard, plus, I think it could have equally been poorly installed vs something potentially knocking it off while driving. It's relatively inexpensive, so not a big deal, but it's the principle that's bothering me. What do you think, should we have had to pay for this?

**I'm trying to attach and image but it's only giving me the option to share a link to an image which I did via Google Drive, but that didn't seem to work.**
The tow hook cover (Part #2 diagram) pops in place and there's a retaining "strap" part of the cover (See Photo 2) that slips through the metal intake trim (See Photo 4) which temporarily keeps it from dislodging from vehicle (the cover will usually dangle by the retaining strap) but the cover is designed to be easily removed to gain access.

There's mark on the tow hook cover (See Photo 3) and if you press, push, apply pressure at the that spot, it'll pop open for access. It doesn't require a lot of pressure but it shouldn't dislodge under normal driving. Part is relatively inexpensive and I purchased a spare incase of incidents.

Most of the time owners who run their vehicle through a car wash, the car wash brush that cleans the lower front of the vehicle is the culprit for many lost tow hook covers. The brush can pop the cover, cover dangles, the brush makes another pass and knocks the cover off the vehicle.
Attached Images

Last edited by Auricom; 04-15-2021 at 12:59 AM..
Appreciate 2
Paladin15556.00