09-19-2019, 07:37 PM   #6
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mghmghmghusa View Post
My 2019 X5 has the factory-installed towing option, which includes an under-dash connector (pictured) for plugging in a 4-wire trailer brake controller. (I use a Tekonsha Prodigy P2, identical to the BMW dealer-installed controllers sold for earlier X5's.)
Problem: no one, including BMW, sells the plug that fits into this connector. The BMW dealership guy is knowledgeable, super-helpful, and has called and emailed various departments, but the bottom line is that BMW doesn't sell a plug or brake controller for 2019 X5's.
So (like the old song) I'm all dressed up with no place to go. I've checked with Pollak (maker of the factory-installed trailer wiring receiver on my X5), eTrailer, and others -- none has a plug for this connector. So (as a last resort before I cut it off the connector and start splicing wires) I'm checking in to see if anyone has any other viable suggestions.
This seems a common connector used by BMW for many years on its brake lights (find old ones on ebay etc with BMW part number 61131378134). But what you need is the mating connector. There should be an AMP part number on the one on your car just above the BMW number (see attached pics). Thats the Amphenol part number and once you have that, you should be able to search for the mate on the Amphenol web site. I wish I could help more but the pictures are too blurry for my eyes to make out the Amphenol part number! Good luck!

Update: Amphenol P/N is AMP 1-828 819-1; its a restricted part so Amp doesn't sell it or its mate or a datasheet to general public. The male portion *seems* to be same as that used on the blower motor resistor in old BMWs but seems to be intended for a PCB board mount. Perhaps you can buy a used/broken blower resistor and take it off? https://www.google.com/search?q=64118372775
Attached Images

Last edited by smovva; 09-19-2019 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
TSMC55125.00