View Single Post
      02-13-2022, 02:53 PM   #18
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5MC Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabimmer View Post
Any idea if this things are trackable when you send the car for service...warranty thing ?

The app allows the chip to be de-activated (the app literally states that the car is now back to stock), so I would guess that unless the dealer has a need to look in the engine bay, or hook up to the ECU, I think the dealer wouldn't even know

Whereas for a service, the chip will be physically visible in the engine bay, but could be easily unclipped (takes 10 mins apparently)

As with all warranty issues, the dealer would have to show that the issue resulting in the warranty claim is related materially to any after-market change

I noticed when i took the car in for it's 1st service (not the 1200m initial oil change), that on the paperwork afterwards it mentioned "no warranty" re. the springs (I'd replaced stock with MSS), wheels (I'd replaced stock with HREs 22" all-round), and exhaust (I'd replaced exhaust with Akra Slip-On)

... in all 3 cases the dealer would have to show that the mod itself caused the warranty claim ... not easy (unless the mod DID actually cause the warranty claim! LOL )

but in any event if you use reputable suppliers (as I do, after all this is a 100K+ car) then you normally get an extra / replacement warranty.

The Race Chip site states there is a 10K Euro warranty limit, and I've already registered my chip & car:

https://www.racechip.com/shop/bmw/x5...0kw-750nm.html

... what was also a factor for me was that trusted BMW vendors like RG Sport have been selling these chips for 6-7 years without issue, and that Race Chip itself seems to be a reliable brand (admittedly just based on my internet research), plus ultimately the chip isn't really adding THAT much BHP & torque (82 BHP, 167 torque Nm), whereas other alternatives seem to offer much more, which would make me nervous about how far the engine, transmission etc is being pushed by the chip

Hope that helps!