View Single Post
      02-09-2015, 09:35 AM   #61
///MCFC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
Guys, I'm not trying to be a C7 Z06 apologist here as I have a pretty well loaded Z07 version being built with the A8 transmission in about four weeks; (hopefully), but something was very wrong with the car Probst was driving.

Not one review of the car on track, including Probst's own thoughts at VIR when he stated that the car was so planted it could easily handle another 100 hp, have mentioned that the car was 'squirrely' or difficult to drive on a road course. In fact every review until this MT comparison has mentioned how incredibly planted the Z06 feels when driven rapidly on a road course, so something doesn't seem quite right.

A couple of things that might have caused the result:

some conjecture on-line that the rear tyres were either worn badly or heat cycled badly. I can't say as I wasn't there, and neither was GM, so making sure that the car had good rear rubber was left to MT. I doubt they'd spring for new Michelins unless the tyres were at the tread wear bars;

I really wonder if the car had awful alignment geometry. With incorrect camber and especially with the rears having some toe out, it apparently can make the car pretty unstable mid corner which is what RP was mentioning. I would love to see this car on an alignment rack to see what the 'numbers' showed;

Lastly, RP drove the car with all driving aides off. Again he's a pro and probably drives every car that way, but the PTM in track mode is supposedly the fastest way around a track and is designed for the driver to be able to plant their foot to the floor mid corner and be able to drive the car out of the corner in full control; (kind of what the AWD in the GT-R allows you to do).

Anyway, the Z06 got beat this time around on that particular day; it is what it is. As an ex-owner of a '09 GT-R with some decent road course mods on it I can say that any GT-R can be driven extremely rapidly on a track, especially one so hardcore and unidimensional like the Nismo that it is essentially undriveable on the street.

Bish
you are probably right about those worn rear tires, bad alignment, and PTM. also, i think pobst may have used an analog tire gauge resulting in tire pressure being off by as much as 1.5 psi.
Appreciate 0