03-02-2007, 07:12 PM   #16
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 SG 335i

(Sigh...)

Where shall I start?

First, it's nice that so many people replied and have (some strong) opinions about the ProCEDE. Just one thing, if anyone is going to make commenta about the device itself, I suggest you go and read about how it actually works before critcizing me or the ProCEDE. There are some great threads on it.

But just a couple of points. It does not change the ECU in ANY way nor does it require you to change any of the engine internals. In the same way as the native ECU detects the octane fuel you put in your tank (98, 95 or , heavens forbid, 93 octane) and changes the engine mapping to maximize the car's economy/performance for that particular kind of fuel, so too does the ProCEDE only it does it better (BMW purposely DE-TUNED the 335 to make a bigger performance gap between it and the much more expensive upcoming M3).

The ProCEDE is not an ECU reflash like some aftermarket performance products (and these DO void your warranty because BMW will instantly see that the ECU settings are non factory). It is a piggyback system which "fools" the car (and BMW) into thinking that everything is within normal parameters, provides a great increase in performance (torque and power and driveability- more about that later), but still retains the native car safety failsafes (so you can't blow the engine up for what ever reason).

And it only takes 15 mins to install/remove and with no sign that it has been installed.

Regarding the lack of reply/ service for shiv. I am disappointed a little but we in little old Australia have to be a bit realistic here. He is so busy trying to provide good service to his US customers, why would he waste too much time with a product which [I]might[I] have a demand of maybe a dozen units. I know I wouldn't. Stay with the money. We may have to wait for shiv to provide a unit for European markets which have similar fuel to us.

Re: traction.
For those of us who haven't noticed, we have a drought and wet road driving is not much of an issue. A limited slip diff would be nice but that is a major differentiator for the M3, so we can't have one (yet...). Bumpy road traction is an issue though...

Re: power
It's not so much raw power I'm after. I'm more of a torque hound. The 335 is great for this BUT (and anyone who has a 335 should be able to attest to this) there is definitely an issue with throttle response i.e., especially in the lower rev range. From the other ProCEDE threads, this issue is effectively eliminated and has throttle response characteristics more like the NA 330 engine.

Re: Guinea pig.
I'm reading the threads from existing EXCEDE (the beta testing unit) and ProCEDE owners and so far no big issues. Realistically, I wouldn't have a unit for many months (the mapping for our fuel hasn't even been done) so many probs will show their ugly heads before then.

PS NickG : I love to "spar" if the topic is good. I don't get personal, I just love that people have passion for their cars (But not the kind of passion that puts massive 20' shiny alloys over drum brakes, massive subwoofers to fill the boot and a back door full of "performance" stickers ).

BMW //MPOWER: I like my car being a sleeper....

Now- are there any other 335 owners who want one???
(Thanks Dubois)