ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
This 35 mpg was on the highway? Crazy.
Yes. Round trip from Houston to Seattle and back, with big city driving in Seattle, Portland and Denver plus lots of medium-size cities such as Durango and Santa Fe.
I currently have the F15 40e for my wife's daily commute of 25 miles R/T and a 330e for local trips to stores and restaurants. I took the 330e to Greenville for the BMW one-day school and it returned 45 MPG over the 2000 mi R/T, with mostly Interstate 70 MPH. I made the trip back in one long day and the average speed was 80.1 MPH (330e is a good stealth car).
My wife does her commute (to Bridge center) with mode selector in e-power, only, on the city streets and shifts to gasoline power for the 5 miles, each way, when she is on I-69. She does the changeover at about 60 MPH and is NEVER accelleration-limited in ePower on city streets. On the contrary, she is usually the fastes off the line (she is an agressive driver). The 330e is almost always in e-power, only, and once again; I'm usually the first off the line and up the road, when the other cars catch up as I hold the 35 MPH speed limit and they go to 50 MPH. Except for the 2000 mile trip, I fill the tank twice a year because of trips to/from the airport. The good thing about having electric for around town is I never feel guilty about accelerating the wear on the ICE because of running an engine on a short trip and never getting the engine up to temp. My wife's 40e doesn't have this problem because the 5 miles of Interstate does get the engine up to temp.
I DO NOT think I have the optimum mix of vehicles. In my 330e, I lug around an ICE that I don't need. It replaced an i3 that I sold because of it's coal cart-like ride on inner Houston's potholed streets. It's 60 mile range was more than adequate for my use because I have an at-home 7.5 KW charger. But, from a purely financial consideration, neither the i3 or 330e make sense because of their cost. It would cost me less to have bought a pure ICE of comparable size but much lower cost (such as a VW Golf) and paid for the gas for the (exclusive of the 2000 mi trip) 2000 miles I put on it in a year. I want my wife in a high ground clearance vehicle because her daily route takes her through several intersections that flood with 12" of water in the heavy rainstorms and poor street drainage that Houston gets a half-dozen times a year. The X5 has a 20" fording capability. With the $4K Federal tax credit and $2500 TX Grant, the cost for the 40e was about the same as for a pure ICE mid-size SUV and the fuel savings are gravy.

So, for me, the ideal mix is a PHEV SUV with at least 30 mi electric range and an all-electric car costing about $30K after tax credits. With that mix, I'll use about two tanks of gas a year (exclusive of long trips), will have a long-trip vehicle that gets very good fuel economy when I'm on those trips, and a short trip car for groceries/restaurants. We live in one of the downtown areas of Houston. Both of my current car's leases toll in mid/late 2020 and that's the mix I will be shopping for. Come 2023, I might consider an all-electric for long trips; but only if the charging rates and infrastructure are there.
Appreciate 0