View Single Post
      10-24-2021, 09:05 PM   #14
GS2019
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

If I used the existing Tesla mobile cable (20 feet) with the J1772 adapter to run through the garage ceiling, then it'll be lengthy enough for 45e. I'm trying to find a solution where I can easily hang from the ceiling but when not plugged into the 45e, then I want 3-4 feet to raise back to the ceiling. just thinking through some ideas or items that I can buy to achieve it. Otherwise, the cable will always hang to the floor level.
Any ideas please do share. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Extension cords generally are not a good idea, and if available (they're hard to find) are quite expensive. Every time you plug something into an extension cord, you risk a lousy connection, excess heat, and can literally melt things from the heat. The X5 doesn't draw all that much power, but people trying to use one at their maximum capacity with some of the adapter devices, overheat and fail eventually.

Since the 45e tends to run on batteries, backing it into the garage would put the charging port on the other side, maybe closer to your current EVSE. That's one thing I looked at when I bought mine 8-years ago...it has a long enough cable so it worked with my last EV that had the socket on the back right, and to get hung from the ceiling to reach the X5's socket on the front left. Just buying that cable probably costs $3/foot and the plug itself can set you back $100, so you can see why an adapter starts to cost a bit and an EVSE with a longer cable has some minimum cost, as well.
Appreciate 0