LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Some untruths being spoken here, the reasonable among us skeptics are not anti EV for the sake of it. There are two issues at play here,

1) Such short term targets sets by governments and manufacturers, i don't see how on EARTH you could ban ICE sales in less than 9 years, i just cannot see it.

2) Charging, people focus on range but the issue is charging. Until this is resolved there will be a need for an alternative which is NOT what is being communicated, the communication is EV or bust by 2030ish.

I will also add that an EV is more hassle for me than an ICE. I have two cars, one garage so one lives outside, my charger would be near the front of the house or in the garage and because of the charging issue I would need to top up EVERY DAMN NIGHT. So in the morning, minus 30, i am out there unrolling an icy cord and every night i have to trudge in and plug it in again. It's just a headache vs filling up once every two weeks.

it all comes back to charging, if we can charge in 5 minutes, game changer, until then, prodominately 2nd cars ina family for pure EV.
The harsh limits placed on ICE elimination are solely meant to challenge the industry to start solving the problems related to EV adoption. Everything from charging to manufacturing and so on. As industry doesn't have the luxury of calling the government's bluff. The government does have the luxury of delaying the limits or removing them altogether in 2030 or whenever. So there is no harm in these limits as they are helping to spur innovation.

Charging isn't a problem if you ask me for the scenario you described. Especially in a -30... The EV allows you to come to the car and it is perfectly warm and full of a charge which is a net win. No more needing a remote starter to only end up running your engine in the worst possible conditions for any ICE engine (cold and idling!).

I public street park and I'm not bothered by charging in the slightest (L2 charger on the front of my house).

In the US I'm still convinced PHEVs are the solution for a while as I don't think we'll get the charging infrastructure fully sorted in the next decade especially for apartments or city dwellers...

This was my car after a recent snow storm. Turning on the car's remote climate control to melt the snow made brushing it off a breeze!

Name:  Car in Snow.png
Views: 4279
Size:  1.45 MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
1. Short term mandates are stupid.
2. Charging infrastructure is very weak. It also takes a long time and many of them are broken too.

However, It's not that bad at home. But having an inductive charger would be a game changer; like they do for phones. We're used to charging things every night anyway. I have phones, laptops, watch, and vacuum and even robot vacuum (which finds its own charger BTW)

It only takes about 20 seconds to charge or unhook a car charger. Even when it's super cold too. It doesn't have to be neat, just make sure it's out of the way.
BMW had a wireless charging pilot running in CA for the 530e for a while. Never heard anything more about it though and they aren't shipping it on newer model years so perhaps the power loss was too high for now and it will improve and make it into production. This would be nice for shopping malls and etc. Just pull in, charge, and go.
Appreciate 2
GenXer1359.00
W///7471.50