View Single Post
      01-22-2020, 01:01 PM   #12
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgnmpl View Post
BTW, if you believe that the phone would still use it’s cellular for internet access while it would be connected to the cars WiFi hotspot (with paid subscription) then please could you explain me what do you think that subscription would be for?

And as an example or maybe a proof of what I’m saying. Once my trial period ended I lost any connection with the internet on my phone. My streams stopped, my google maps stopped working. I couldn’t use the internet on my phone because the WiFi it was connected to (cars hotspot) lost the subscription to the internet.

Of course the car did have the internet connection (because of connected drive) but it couldn’t share it’s connection with my phone anymore.

I had to change the phones settings on my iDdrive to “not share the internet access” - so the phone still could use the WiFi connection but it didn’t treat that connection as internet access.
I think he's referring to if you're using wireless CarPlay. It's my understanding that you cannot use WiFi and be connected to wireless CarPlay at the same time. When you use wireless carplay, you're using a wifi connection to communicate with the car - this wifi connection is different than the one you setup in your hotspot. It would show something like BMW07467 when you're connected to wireless CarPlay.
Appreciate 0