View Single Post
      12-20-2019, 09:35 AM   #13
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I have a university-owned laptop that is hooked up to a large monitor. That is what I use for university business. I have nothing personal on it and do nothing but university business on it. I also have my own Optiplex 7050 mini sitting on my desk. I use that to VPN into my home network and I use remote desktop to access my home PC. So any non-work related surfing I do (such as this post) is done on my own network and my own home machine. So there's little to no chance of anything bad happening to the university network or machines.

That said, this probably wouldn't work for your situation. Most companies (if their IT staff is decent), wouldn't allow you to use a VPN on their network unless they set it up. And it still doesn't get around the fact that you're on their time, regardless of whose machine your using. Universities are a bit more forgiving about time, especially with folks like me who are basically always available to help solve issues, including nights, weekends, and when I'm on vacation.

If I ran a private company IT system, I'd have it locked down tighter than a drum. Nothing is worse for a company than having your servers and desktops taken over with ransomware. And an engineering firm probably has a lot of intellectual property to protect. They have every right to be overly protective of that.

If you have a decent data plan, you might consider a cheap Chromebook and link out through your phone. At least that way no one at your company can track what you do.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614906.00
UncleWede17883.00