BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive 40i

Thanks for the replies, folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019x5User View Post
You fall in love, totally
haha, you called me out! Yes indeed . I have driven other nice cars for perspective, and am aware of the general teething issues mentioned here, so trying to maintain a balanced view, but I can't help myself lol, it is a really good SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr
Please post pics IMMEDIATELY so we can all enjoy this as much as you!
Thanks and I will ! Will bring out my best camera gear for photographing this model [ ]. The hard part is the wait .... Hopefully by end of next month I would have it delivered and detailed

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti
You can't go wrong with STEK or Suntek for the PPF. The guy I use in Carrollton exceeds my expectations every time. I'm very OCD too. I did the full hood, nose and head lights, mirrors, partial fenders and rocker panels below the doors. You can do more than that, but it's not necessary. I just cover the impact zones and the rockers which take a beating from rocks and shoes getting in an out of the car. You'll want to paint correct, have the PPF applied and then do the ceramic. Good luck!
Thanks a lot, skal !! Your multiple posts here helped my significantly in my research efforts - I have seen your water beading videos several times now and the fact that EXO beads like this even after 2-3 yrs , convinced me to go that route. The reflections on your front bumper finally sealed the deal for me. Big thanks.

Going to go for STEK on the front only and GTechniq Ultra + 2 coats of EXO v4.
--------------
So for STEK and GTechniq, we have an interesting situation here.

1) The carrolton place mentioned above is the only licensed place for STEK and a place called tenflat detailing is the only licensed and approved detailer for applying the CS Ultra. So two monopolies isn't a great setup for those here locally, but I talked to Chris for the PPF and he was really good and knows what he is talking about, so I don't mind.

2) So I have to do paint prep and PPF at the first shop. Then take delivery and trundle over to Ten Flat for the ceramic CSU. Hopefully, I don't have do yet another paint prep step and I hope I don't have to wait 5 days at each place.

--------------
Offline feedback on the questions so far:
Unevenness and cost: unevenness is supposedly negligible. PPF quote for whole car is $6k. Full front is ~$1.6k. Choosing the latter.
adhesive: STEK film is similar to Suntek in adhesive construction. All done in one place and they don't have to ship to 3M for a separate adhesive application.
Removal: sweet spot here. Techs told me that is the right threshold for removal. Not so easy that it comes off on its own, but not so difficult that after intentional removal or for maintenance that it becomes a nightmare.

Other notes:
- STEK is supposedly better for stretching out and holding the edges better than Suntek and also lesser yellowing.
- Since it is glossy and hydrophobic to begin with,I was told that a Ceramic top coat is not needed if I PPF'd the whole car. Said it was needed for other films but not really for STEK.
- I was cautioned that the additional ROI for *gloss* of doing ceramic + STEK is not that significant. But since I am doing partial PPF, I will be going ahead with the ceramic step.

Ten Flat is closed today and so I will be calling them on Monday to enquire about costs and downgrading from the initial CSU + EXO V4 to just the CSL + EXOv4 down the road.

Will keep you all posted
Appreciate 0