View Single Post
      10-29-2020, 10:05 AM   #15
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Aaand they were correct - these do not fit. With a however. However, you can make them fit. An hour, a broken trim tool, and a slightly botched door card underside (fortunately not normally visible), they are installed. First tip - do not ignore the instructions. At least don't ignore the little pictures (instructions are fairly sparse). These were not Audi rings - which were pop out the old, pop in the new.

Assuming these were the same, I popped out the OEM puddle lights (easy peasy), attached the connector (also easy), and popped in the new. Snug fit. Really snug. In fact, extremely tight. No problem, they're not going anywhere. Except - the logo is upside-down. They were clearly marked "R" and "L", and I installed the "L" on the driver's side, correct, no? No. The R and L are not from the perspective of the seated driver, but facing the car from the front.

No problem, I'll just pop it out and swap the lights. Um, not popping. Not, in fact, moving at all. Hence the hour and a broken trim tool, and marred door. Back to the instructions. There is a small diagram of a utility knife, with some measurements. No text, just the picture. It seems to indicate enlarging the opening. Aha. So, essentially ripping out the light, I trimmed about 1/8" from the length of the opening, reconnected and reinstalled the unit. Then spent about 3 minutes installing the passenger side light, correctly. Fini.

So basically user error, combined with less than clear installation instructions. I am therefore providing this for potential users who want to spiff up their puddle lights. These will not go into the original opening - and come out again - without modification as described. And I'm assuming - and I'm not about to try - that once you do this you can't go back to the originals without replacing the lower door trim. But you probably won't want to.

Name:  20201029_093149.jpg
Views: 7517
Size:  218.4 KB

Last edited by Paladin1; 10-29-2020 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 3