12-10-2020, 03:26 PM   #3
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
If you are not crawling under the car I don't see jack stands necessary. Like the poster above said 1 wheel at a time with a good quality floor jack that is rated to support your vehicle ( personally would not use any scissor jack that comes with the car they are widowmakers). A jack pad is helpful, 2 wheel chocks, breaker bar with a 17mm deep socket for lugs and a torque wrench. optional wheel hanger pin and most importantly common sense.
https://www.amazon.ca/POTAUTO-Univer...7631413&sr=8-5

something like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/MAXPOWER-2-Inc...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
or
https://www.amazon.ca/Powerbuilt-940...7631548&sr=8-5

these are just examples.

Skill Level 2 out of 10

1. Decide which wheel you want to start on first.
2. put tire chock behind opposite wheel (opposite side of car from wheel you are removing) I use 2 chocks one behind the rear wheel and one in front of the front wheel, this will depend on your slope of surface area you are working on. Try to do the tire change on flat ground so your car doesn't roll. Chocks are to prevent the car from rolling.
3. place jack under the jack point and place the jackpad on top of the hydraulic jack cradle.
4. slowly pump the hydraulic jack until the jack pad comes close to the jack point, re-align jack pad so that it lines up with the jack point receptacle. Give the floor jack another pump so the jackpad inserts into the jack point.
5. Now loosen or "break free" the lug bolts with the breaker bar or tire iron. Don't remove the lugs just yet, just loosen. Make sure you have the lug nut key if you have locks installed.
6. Jack up the car so the wheels are approximately 2-4" clearance off the ground. No need to go any higher. Lock floor jack into position by twisting handle (refer to jack owners manual and get yourself familiar with the operation of the jack before you begin)
7. Remove lug bolts and place to the side ( I use magnetic tray so I don't lose them rolling around). Before you remove the last lug bolt make sure to hold onto the tire and keep is steady. There is a chance the wheel will fall off the hub after you remove the last lug and you don't hold the tire straight. You don't want to damage the wheel or have it fall off and scrape your brake calipers etc.
8. Once the lugs are removed you can carefully lift off the tire.
9. OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED: Inspect lugs for damage or cross threading. Clean lugs with a shot of WD40 and wipe clean. Inspect wheel hubs and clean with a rag, toothbrush or soft wire brush, to remove any caked on crap. you can remove the center caps if you plan to re-use them on the new wheels.
10. Apply some anti-sieze on the outside of the the hub where the wheel will re-mount. (will make it easier to remove wheels next time)
11. Get your new wheel and gently lift on to the hub. Make sure it seats on the hub flush. S-L-O-W-L-Y- Spin the rim so the lug holes line up.
12. Insert first lug bolt and hand tighten only. Be sure not to force the lug bolt into the hole. If it does not go in freely you may have to slightly spin the rim so the holes are perfectly lined up. Make sure not to cross thread. Back out lug and try again if you feel you are forcing too much.
13. install remaining lug bolts- hand tighten.
14. Once all bolts are properly seated and hand tightened you can use your 17mm wrench to snug them up. Your wheel will probably spin a bit once you snug them up.
15. Once you are happy and all the lugs are snugged up and the wheel is seated flush onto the hub you can very gently and slowing lower the car to the ground, but not all the way. Just enough that the tires make solid contact with the ground and there is still a slight bit of weight on the jack.Don't just drop the car too fast.
16. Once the car wheels are on the ground
17. At this point you can tighten the lugs the rest of the way with a torque wrench or 17mm socket & wrench. start with the first bolt, then tighten the opposite bolt, then the opposite of that bolt and so on ( use a star pattern to tighten bolts) torque to 101 ft/lb.( check your owners manual for proper wheel torque spec for your particular vehicle)
TIP: If you removed the center caps make a habit of putting them back on ONLY AFTER you have properly torqued the lugs to spec. This way you know that you have torqued that wheel.
10. Lower vehicle all the way and remove jack and jack pad( should fall out when you lower the jack all the way.

Move on to the other wheels. This is just a very basic how-to that will get your wheels swapped over safely providing you use some common sense. If you do not feel comfortable with the basics then take it to a professional to do. There are lots of you tube videos for reference as well. I do a lot more than just the basics when i swap my wheels, thoroughly clean hubs, lugs and holes. Also a good time to clean inside wheel wells. Shine up the calipers and a coat of ceramic or wax etc. If this is something you are going to do yourself on a regular seasonal basis get yourself some good quality basic tools and a good floor jack. I hope this helps. Good Luck and be safe.

Last edited by denaliman; 12-10-2020 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 3
Noneya251.50
mvigod181.50