View Single Post
      01-22-2021, 10:43 PM   #241
Eternalthinker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
I think I want to get my wife the Model Y due to Tesla's exception car crash safety ratings and tech. When my wife and I decided to have kids, we also decided to lease all of her cars (every 3 years) until she the kids were in HS due to the fact that car safety and tech has been changing and improving so fast. It would put my "precious cargo" in the latest and safest place for the time being. Currently she's in an Audi Q7 but when that lease is up in a year, Tesla was the next brand that came into mind. The thought came up because my wife kept asking me, when we were searching for her next car (the Q7), does it have auto braking, etc? Ultimately she said she wants to be safe, just in case the kids distract her. I obviously told her, if the kids are distracting or crying, to just let them cry and pull over, but she said she wants tech to assist as well. I was like, isn't there a freaking car that drives itself? At that time Tesla didn't come to mind, but now it does. Anyone else have similar thoughts in regards to the car's safety features?

For myself, I doubt I'd ever go EV. and/or an Automatic/DCT/DSG. Give me a gasoline smelling, oil drinking, sub 4 second 60mph, manual that hurts my left foot to drive in traffic. Thankyouveddymuch.
I personally love driving and the engagement / connection between myself + machine. When I began using Autopilot in my Teslas, it was (past-tense) new and fun. However, the novelty wore off in months. In many occasions, I have had "phantom braking" problems, which is while Autopilot is engaged on the freeway, it would hard brake for no reason at all. This happened to all of my Teslas and have brought this up to Tesla with nothing done at all. My service advisor said they could not pull the logs and I must have the exact date and time for them to look up. It became a nuisance to the point that I just found myself to be a more attentive driver than the Autopilot itself. At the very least, I would not step on the brakes for no reason while traveling at 80mph. When I use AP, I use it now under the assumption that this system may brake for no apparent reason...which really ended up me not using the system for very long. I would caution anyone using these systems, at least Tesla's AP, to be very attentive. I have not had as much seat time in my Taycan to tell you how its system works, but for the sake of me and my passengers' I do not give it as much confidence as others in the Tesla community do.