Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
I think I want to get my wife the Model Y due to Tesla's exception car crash safety ratings and tech. When my wife and I decided to have kids, we also decided to lease all of her cars (every 3 years) until she the kids were in HS due to the fact that car safety and tech has been changing and improving so fast. It would put my "precious cargo" in the latest and safest place for the time being. Currently she's in an Audi Q7 but when that lease is up in a year, Tesla was the next brand that came into mind. The thought came up because my wife kept asking me, when we were searching for her next car (the Q7), does it have auto braking, etc? Ultimately she said she wants to be safe, just in case the kids distract her. I obviously told her, if the kids are distracting or crying, to just let them cry and pull over, but she said she wants tech to assist as well. I was like, isn't there a freaking car that drives itself? At that time Tesla didn't come to mind, but now it does. Anyone else have similar thoughts in regards to the car's safety features? Sure, everyone wants their kids to be safe, but it's not like not buying the absolute safest vehicle on the road is putting their life in any additional danger.

For myself, I doubt I'd ever go EV. and/or an Automatic/DCT/DSG. Give me a gasoline smelling, oil drinking, sub 4 second 60mph, manual that hurts my left foot to drive in traffic. Thankyouveddymuch.
Teslas do have top ratings from the NHTSA and IIHS, but so do dozens of other cars and that does not make them any safer than other cars with the same ratings. I would also argue that too many technical nannies actually make you a less attentive, worse driver.

The kids are safe in just about any modern vehicle. I always laugh around here when people have their first kid and they buy an armored Escalade. In many countries they just buy a bigger scooter as the family grows.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold

Last edited by KingOfJericho; 01-23-2021 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0