View Single Post
      02-13-2020, 06:14 AM   #11
floridaman100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 xDrive40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Majority of X5 owners upgrade from the 552 standard Adaptive Full LED to 5AZ Icon Adaptive LED headlights with Laserlight for aesthetics and functionality.

5AZ versus 552 aesthetics and functionality include:
1. BMW Icon DRLs versus U-shaped DRLs (looks visually similar to VW Atlas)
2. Functional inner and outer LED & Laserlight projection units versus only outer functioning and dummy inner units on standard
3. For USA markets, 5AZ includes cornering lights versus no cornering lights on 552
4. Full length eyebrow LED turn signals versus LED bulb turning signals
5. Frickin' LAZERS high beams LOL

Functionally both are fully adaptive low/high beam LED headlight units. Laserlight ONLY enhances the LED high beam over 37MPH and under specific ambient lighting conditions - eg. really dark. The majority of the time you'll see LED low and high beams in city and suburb driving.

Based on headlight testing - 5AZ provides better light distribution over 552 most likely due to using two functional inner and outer LED projection units.

Here's some night time ambient lighting details of 5AZ on my X5. You can see ambient lights up in the blue X. The reflector on the far left is the LED cornering light which turns on when cornering or steering angle greater than 15 degree - eg to light up dark sweeping curves. The LED projection upper units are low beans and what's not shower and the high beam lower units. Laserlight are projected from the lower units.

Attachment 2238633

I personally skipped the Executive Package this time but will most likely option it when lease is up in 2023. Like yourself there are features I don't really need, but if only I could have individually optioned Drive Recorder and Skylounge.

Yes the X5 does come with illuminated door sills. There are 3 illuminated sills types:

1. X5 - for xLine models
2. BMW Individual - for xLine models optioned with extended Merino or full Merino interiors
3. ///M - for xDrive 40i M Sport and 2019 xDrive 50i M Sport models
4. ///M50i, ///M50d - for M50i/d models
5. X5 ///M, X6 ///M - for upcoming ///M models
Thanks for all the information. This really helps. Looks like Laser lights are a go!
Appreciate 0