02-08-2022, 12:59 PM   #69
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
I was stuck in traffic on I285, Atlanta's ring, for over three hours, bumper to bumper, no accidents, just normal Friday afternoon traffic. All I thought about was wanting Cruise Mode 3 To me, its worth every penny they charge for Extended Traffic Jam Assistant just to have Cruise Mode 3 : (currently the Driving Assistance Professional Package is $1,700 on 2022's)
FWIW, I'd echo the observation that someone else had on this forum: ETJA is basically the same as the radar guided cruise control, except you're trading contact with the steering wheel for monitoring that you are staring straight ahead. Personally, I find the former to be much more palatable and comfortable, especially if you have issues with the system being able to track your eyes (as I do), and it's much more comfortable for me personally to be able to continue to monitor the surrounding traffic and maintain situational awareness.

I have personally used the normal cruise control system in those situations, and it will bring the vehicle to a stop and restart, steer to keep in lane, etc. There doesn't appear to be a significant difference in behavior, in my experience, sans the method of attention monitoring, unless I'm missing something. ETJA is cool on paper, but in my testing and experience, due to the implementation, it's strictly worse functionally. Again, anecdotal, fwiw.
Appreciate 0