View Single Post
      11-21-2021, 01:56 PM   #1
jcardea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40I

GO5 Ring and Pinion, Front Differential

This video is of a production line I was Chief Engineer. I began work on this line in late 2017 and went into production fall of 2020. COVID slowed it down but accomplished it. Prior to this line our contract for G05 product were manufactured more on manually operated areas. This over line is 60 feet wide x 350 feet long. ring and pinion gear blanks are machined in our soft turning areas, then entered this line in plastic dunnage, offloaded by robots in pairs onto traveling pallets. once in this line, all operation is performed to both ring and pinion simultaneously through gear teeth generation, heat treating process, annealing process, rings go to hard turning, pinion go to straightening, OD grinding, paired together for life in lapping area, then rotational testing. Then pair are married to pre-assembled differential where ring is pressed on and laser welded. Then offloaded to plastic pallets to go to out assemble department. We are not allowed to publish actual processes because all of these are proprietary. Then on to Spartanburg. It was filmed and edited by my colleague with a drone. Hope anyone will enjoy this. This is and will be my final major project, as I am retiring early 2022.

Appreciate 3
omasou2088.00
91Eunos105.00
FTP2034.00