03-19-2024, 10:34 AM   #288
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

My updated thoughts on my 45e, fwiw.

Concerns (not necessarily regrets, but things which make it not optimal):
- Disappointed that HK audio wasn't available when I ordered mine (would have been equipped, but for component shortages). I feel like the default sound system is somewhat lacking.
- Very disappointed to learn that iDrive updates can fail and effectively brick the vehicle, and that BMW would not cover costs for this event is the vehicle is out of warranty. So no updates after the warranty period.
- Electric company "altered the deal" with power costs recently, to make solar significantly less viable for cost savings (effectively increased my annual cost for power by ~$2000/yr). That, in turn, makes EV power less cost effective for me also.
- DAP has been practically useless for me, with the overly sensitive eye-tracking software, although it seems somewhat better in the newest software update (03/2024.25, one attempt so far). In general, though, "smart" assistance systems are still too badly implemented to reduce stress in operation, for me.
- Massage seats are very underwhelming

FWIW, I'm still reasonably happy with the purchase, all things considered, even with the flaws and setbacks. I think I'd still pick by 45e over a 50e today, given the choice between the two (given the interior changes in the 50e, particularly the dashboard). If I had to buy new today, I wouldn't have a clear choice; BMW has declined with the current X5 design, but no other vehicle has improved enough to be clearly superior either.
Appreciate 0