View Single Post
      08-21-2021, 11:34 AM   #55
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

Misinformed? Ooookay...

So two things: DI means a higher static CR, meaning less low end suffering for turbo motors while still being able to run relatively high boost vs what we used to run for those static CRs.

Second, and this is the bigger one, at no point has there been a need for backpressure on modern turbo motors. Some madlads decided to do the legwork and found out the ideal exhaust form is to start off large and unrestrictive, and conically increase its inner diameter as you approach the end so as to manage pulses effectively to help speed the exhaust along rather than letting it dwell or eddy anywhere along the path.

Even modern NA motors have gone the path of not really needing much in the way of backpressure to scavenge low end anymore, and turbos haven't needed any ADDED backpressure on account of the flow restrictors already present in the exhaust in the form of multiple cats. A couple small valves sectioning off a couple foot loop in the muffler will not increase backpressure in any meaningful amount. They're there to a) help follow specific noise regulations and b) help limit drone

I haven't had an NA car in 2 decades, I've modified every car I've owned, I've done the legwork. Simply put, spool is everything.