GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateCP View Post
I've been under the impression that BMW Merino is uncoated and requires periodic cleaning/conditioning. Vernasca and previously Dakota is coated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd92 View Post
Correct, Dakota/Vernasca and Nappa are coated. Merino is not. Which makes it a bad choice for a car that you actually use.
MERINO IS COATED!

The "uncoated merino" rumor got started because people misread BMW marketing collateral:
not dyed with any artificial colors or coatings
The key word is "artificial", i.e., Merino is coated, just with NATURAL coatings.

There's no way uncoated leather could be put into a vehicle, especially, say, a convertible. Or really used anywhere with humans and not get destroyed. Merino is fine and plenty durable - I've had individual merino for 10 years including Opal white in a convertible that I jumped into full of sweat & dirt from hiking. Cleans right off. I wouldn't use Merino on a farm's shit truck, but for a BMW it's fine.

Sorry for the tone, but the "merino isn't coated" urban legend drives me nuts

OP: Colourlock mild cleaner + leather shield.

My X5's Individual "lite" Ivory & Navy Blue Merino (coated w. colourlock's leather shield, no dye transfer or chaffing yet)

My M4's Individual Manufaktur Opal merino, 3 years old, not babied by any stretch (I routinely sat on the head rest with my feet on the seat to watch ocean stuff)

Last edited by GrussGott; 02-16-2022 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 3
Tch-Nrd124.50
amc4268.00
sbc-yyc84.00