03-16-2016, 07:42 AM   #234
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335penguin View Post
Not everyone combines their finances and not everyone finances the ring some pay in full. I was just putting it out there that maybe he should talk to his girlfriend about what he's willing to pay for her ring and if she wants more than that she can help pay. Also not every guy is going to add in the cost of the ring to their combined bills etc. some may keep it separate as they purchased it for their significant other and they recipient should not have to pay.
I guess I never understood the process of keeping all of the money separate when legally everything is jointly owned. Then, if 50/50 but one makes more than the other not sure how this works. When it is time to make a big purchase I don't understand what happens when one of the two has no savings because they have spent it all. Once you start running budgets jointly and one has input into how the other spends "their money" you are back to making joint financial decisions and it seems pointless.

When they go on vacation do they split the bills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
You got hosed. We paid for our license, 50 bucks or whatever had our own minister. Flowers done by mother law free. Photographer can't recall but cheap. Only real expense was after dinner we paid for.
Our was on the beach in Maui, and didn't involve my mother in law at all, these alone were worth the extra money. She was happy with everything and no chance the local marriage in Ohio could have matched the beach wedding and based on other weddings I have been to we were massively below the average.