09-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero View Post

My point is that this watch is not a bad choice at this price point, but don't kid yoruself into thinking it's worth the pricetag because of its function. If you're after the features you mentioned, you can find them in timepieces well below $5000.
I'm under no such false notion. I have a Reverso Duo. I know quite well there's no requirement to spend that kind of money to have a very fine watch that tells time in two zones. I will say I haven't run across many mechanical watches that have an alarm function, yet I haven't looked for one either. Hell, I wasn't looking for that one either. Indeed, the only reason I even learned of the Breguet pictured is that a watch salesman in NYC sent me a brochure about it.

But it's not any one of the funtionalities that makes me think this a good businessman's watch. (And perhaps I should have said business executive's watch instead.) It's that as a frequently traveling business executive, the alarm, dual zone and it's being elegant and a rather "quiet" brand (i.e., most folks will not recognize it) makes it just right for the well turned out businessman. Also, I have yet to see a watch that appeals to me more so than does the Breguet.

The alarm strikes me as incredibly convenient. I can certainly see myself using it on long flights. Yes, I know the attendant will wake me if I ask. But I also know that if something come's up that occupies her/him, s/he may forget, and frankly, I'd just as soon not bother. I don't really need or want someone at my beck and call, at least not on a plane. It's one of my few moments of solitude. The fewer folks and less often I see them, the better.

Lastly, I think Breguet watches of this caliber have at least some investment potential. That said, I'm not of the mind that a watch -- any watch -- is a good investment, at least not at the price points I can afford. But you are correct, I have no intention of selling it later. I buy and keep.

I appreciate your contribution. TY.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0