Quote:
Originally Posted by teefive View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bichoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Well, my first try at this didn't go as smoothly as yours. Received the unit on Sat morning, D440-0047, everything looks right. Hood up, car locked, take the key far away, wait 15min. Install harness in the two spots (3pin near the front, 4 pin in the middle), tie wrap everything. Car on, engine off, the unit LED lights up and ... everything from then on went badly. Summary:
  • the D-SPORT app on iOS mostly wouldn't find the unit at all (just sits there scanning for BT devices, finding nothing); but when it did find it and switched to an intro splash screen, it then immediately crashed within 0.5-1 seconds; tried reboots, swipe aways, re-installs ... on 3 different iPhone models (6, 8, and XR) with 3 different iOS versions (12.4.3, 13.3, and 13.3.1)
  • started engine, car idled rough then settled down after a few seconds; but if you give it a little revs (even below 3000 rpm), wouldn't spin up, be very rough, or even stalled a few times
  • decided to go slow around the block; CEL blaring, continuous stalling, barely made it back to the garage
Obviously I immediately removed it; car went back to normal, but I now have "permanent" CEL "boost pressure too high" codes everywhere.

Discussed with Dinan, they assert it's a defective unit and we've arranged for my local distributor to get a replacement, should be in next weekend. That's good customer service, even on the weekend! But I sure hope it was a rare defect, was really looking forward to a simple gentle boost to stock. Wondering what warranty impact the CEL codes will have if there is an issue. Will report back after next weekend.
did you get a replacement yet from Dinan and try it out?
Yes, just resolved this weekend. I will find the time for the big/full story, but summary:

- don't buy without attention to source and date/time stamps on the unit (part number/UPC/model are NOT sufficient due to massive Dinan logistics screw up)

- when/if you receive the actually right ordered unit, it's easy and it appears to work :-)
How's the tune treating you?
Third unit was the charm. Once I received the right unit, it works great. I am still getting used to it and will do some app-level "dyno" runs (using PerfExpert app after careful/proper setup) in different modes and then with it out when the car is in for service, but I am pretty happy after a couple of days of engine self-calibration on Race mode with 93 octane fuel. It's not a massive increase, but feels good and stock-smooth. App works both on Android and modern iOS when it connects to a unit that actually works and has Bluetooth inside.

Thank you teefive, literally could not have done it without you!

Now for the PSA ... Dinan has some shit broken units out there in the supply chain; it's unbelievable that Dinan has allowed this, but believe it. If anyone wants to buy one of these, call your supplier and make sure of two things BEFORE allowing them to ship to you: a) the package and unit manufacture dates are both 2019 or later (not 2017) and b) the unit label has a proper Bluetooth MAC address (not all 00:00:00:00:00:00).

See pics below. The 2017 and 00:00 MAC are NON-FUNCTIONAL and there appear to be plenty of these on the shelves (the large distributor for my shop has now pulled all of these off their shelves as a result of my ordeal). The 2019 and non-00:00 MAC are fully functional — that's what you want. Note that they all have identical package and unit part numbers and even UPC — crazy!
Great to hear! I'm having the same experience as you ... an extra kick of power without any hiccups.