View Single Post
      02-25-2022, 11:55 AM   #11
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5MC Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by akunob View Post
Agreed, it was a fun experiment to see what the MTO calculator would compute if the car wasn’t driven ‘normally’ but extra conservatively. I think it’s a testament to how great this 4.4L V8 engine to see that, in theory, it could eke out some seriously mileage if babied. Good for road trips…

On the ‘complainers’, I’ve seen a variation of “I love everything about the F95/96 except the fuel consumption…” in quite a few posts/threads.

Sorry, i didn't mean to diss your experiment! It was a cool thing to do and interesting result in the end, as you say showing the engine is capable of very good mpg if driven lightly.

I remember in about 2002/03 doing similar with a Golf GTI when there was a fuel blockade in England ... i had a 40 mile each way commute and had to drive very carefully to ensure a tank of fuel lasted the full week. It was very odd to see the entire motorway travelling at 56mph, and no-one accelerating unnecessarily, and everyone cruising towards a set of traffic lights rather than brake and waste that precious kinetic energy!

Of course, once the fuel blockade ended we drove like a bat out of hell, such was the pent-up need for speed