View Single Post
      06-17-2021, 10:48 PM   #162
jphcbpa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i & 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchy View Post
Gruss. Have you driven the damn cars yet? lol.

I had some time to kill today so I stopped in at the dealership we got our X5 from and my sales guy gave me his X6MC to take out.

I've put just shy of 30,000km on our 2020 X5 M50i with DHP over the last 14ish months so I'm pretty in tune with how the car drives. I wasn't expecting the difference in driving the 2 to be as huge as it is.

Does the "true" M feel faster? Not hugely noticeable, the M50i is quick.

However...even in comfort or normal settings, the X6M is a firmer ride than the 50 in sport plus. Everything about the driving feel is different.
Throttle response is better.
Brakes are better.
Very little body roll and none of the floaty feeling I complain about with the 50. It hides its weight surprisingly well.
Steering is much heavier and that combined with the firmer suspension gives the feeling of being way more connected to the road than the M50i does. (While it handles well for a 5000+lb car, it doesn't feel remotely connected imo)

The M feels more like a sports car while the M50i feels like a fast cruiser.
That and it just looks better, in and out.

Personally, even if the parts were mostly the same, the "true" M would be my pick (and may be soon). I loved the feel of driving a smaller SUV like the GLC43/63's that I've had and driven, and thought I'd have to go back to something smaller again to have that. The X6MC gave that. (I'm assuming the X5MC is almost the same)
If you love the way your M4 drives it'll likely be your choice too.

The only thing (other than comfort if that's what you're after) my 50i has that I personally would want that the M doesn't is some crackles and pops when letting off the gas. The M had none. It seems a bit louder overall, but the "fake sound" piped through the speakers was more pronounced. Either way both are pretty quiet.
Debating between $102k M50i and non comp M at $118k. Not that much price difference for getting an M.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18193.50