02-25-2015, 01:55 PM   #5
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Surprised there isn't much talk about AP watches here. Personally I am obsessed with the Royal Oak Offshore models (ROO). Here are a few of my favorites:
Volcano
Bumblebee
Lebron
Don Ramon
Well, what have I to say about the ROO is that it is a very fine watch, but in most cases a very unattractive one to me. My issues with the ROO's looks are:
  • The numerals on the dial -- there are too many of them that are lopped off and I would prefer markers instead of numbers if one can't show the whole number (or at least damn near the whole digit)
  • Sub-dials -- the visual balance of the dial itself is ruined by the 12-9-6 arrangement of the sub-dials. 3-6-9 would have been a much better layout. My feelings on the layout of the sub-dials isn't limited to AP's ROO. There are very few 12-9-6 chronographs that IMO overcome the visual balance issue that layout presents, so few, that I can't off the top of my head say which one does, but I do recall having once or twice seen one that I thought implemented that layout effectively.
  • The chronograph pushers -- on most models the visual heft of the pushers to my eye throws off the balance of the watch face

Yes, there are one or two versions of the ROO that I think aren't too bad looking, but in general, I strongly prefer the looks of the Royal Oak Chronograph over the ROO.

IMO, AP just missed the boat with the aeathetics of the ROO. Of course, that's not the end of the world. Very few companies have never missed the boat on aesthetics.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0