View Single Post
      07-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #16
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Personally speaking, BMW is not new to the game of auto sales. I find it unacceptable that owners cars are down while waiting for parts. When designing products, part of the job is predicting spares usage at various points along the ownership experience. Predictors are assigned to each part based upon failure rates and design-to-wear life's and that algorithm then goes to procurement. Procurement is linked with sales so they know where the products are going and in what quantity and therefore order the parts and send them to the spares warehouses around the globe.

I can see waiting for parts that ended up very low on the expected replacement algorithm but even those parts may be required in the case of accidents.

That's the way its supposed to work and the way I would expect BMW to work. Spares should be at the warehouses in parallel with the sales of the cars.
It is from my understanding BMW does not host Spare Parts Warehouses anywhere, they practice lean manufacturing and rely on the dealer network to host spares at dealer cost. I don't disagree it should be better for timing and response. Maybe they lack that direction when it comes to getting customer parts to dealers... say they use a chain now that just receives parts, where they should be using another method to escalate parts for warranty work.... I had my entire secondary and intercooler system replaced on my GO5 and at first I was told 4-6 weeks but the SA called tascara for a case and my parts arrive in less than two. By the way I never would have thought they would have those parts in stock..... lol belts YES for sure but its most likely a dealer mistake there.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0