05-15-2019, 07:50 AM   #11
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Is the G05 first BMW where brake piston retraction is triggering alarms? never heard of this.

Heard of brake sensor not being reinitialized properly; - but hydraulics?

so what if you just push them in and get some warnings, can you go after and turn them off?

I used to drive on track without BMW sensors all the time (they fry in a hear bit) with the warning light and no ill effects. (but that was e46 M3 and e39 M5)
I'm sure things are different now.

What about new M340? it has the same brake system as G05 - no brake booster - brake by wire from pedal to master cylinder and Hydraulics from Master cylinder to calipers?

I was told this started in all the G chassis cars. I’m not talking about the pad wear sensor that clips into the top of the pad. There’s something in the caliper that tracks the pistons position within the caliper. When you manually move the piston, the car gets confused on the position of the piston and lights up your dash. You can manually move the positions, but there is a chance for damage BMW says, and then go to the dealership and have everything reset. I imagine they’ll charge you an hour of labor. Just keep in mind the car may not brake properly if it’s confused on the pistons position.
Appreciate 0