View Single Post
      02-24-2020, 05:07 AM   #67
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 & G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
You do 10k a year, so assuming avg consumption of 40mpg for 10k @ £1.30 per litre, thats £1,477 in the diesel

For the petrol 23mpg @ £1.26 per litre, its £2,490.

So £1,013 difference per year, £84 per calendar month or £19 per week.

Now obviously your consumption could vary, but I think for a good mix of motorway, A roads and B roads I doubt you would be too far off these figures in either car.

I'm not telling you to get the 40i (even though thats what I would choose if it were me ), but if its what you prefer, I wouldn't let the running costs be the decider when you only do 10k.

Decent comparison video here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
Agree with this, it’s how I decided to go 40i. Basically look at the economic situation and how it works for you. For me those extra £’s on petrol per week are well worth it and given my time again it would be the same decision 100% but actually more so given I now have experience of a 40i on the road. So yes, ignore the technical and decide if you can carry the extra fuel bill.

Oh and just give a bit of a thought to urban clean air policy where you live and drive. It’s not that I agree with the new proposed diesel ban in Bristol because I think it shouldn’t be a blanket ban, but the reality is I don’t need to care as I’m in the petrol world and that’s a relief I have some pretty irritated friends who will be effected and are stuck with their cars for a while.
This kept me awake last night.

Realistically, the 30d (Euro 6 engine) is more than adequate and keeps my pennies in my pocket. However, the downside is the potential taxation of diesel engines in some shape or form, plus the inconvenience of potential travel restrictions in and out of nearby cities.

The 40i seems like the choice that's more like to bring the smile factor albeit at an additional cost (£1k over the diesel and then run costs). The conflicting element of that, is that I only really drive with our baby in the car. The M2 get's used for nearly all journeys where we travel without the kid. The MPG isn't a huge issue, I just don't know what to expect really (realistic mpg, miles per tank etc).

This is both exciting and equally frustrating
Appreciate 0