Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumxee View Post
Unforunately, the rims I was looking at are machined aluminum, which I've been told are not suitable for winter and if I run them in winter I will void the warranty so I've scratched that plan for now and decided to just go with BR-10 Rims in 20 Diameter.
Uhhhhh... excuse me? What kind of an aftermarket rim company "doesn't offer a warrantee if they are used in the winter"??? Rims are rims. Aluminum, steel, carbon, titanium.... whatever. If they are suitable to be bolted on to a car, and safe enough to hold up the weight of that car without collapsing.... then they are suitable to be driven in the winter.

Tires? Yes. Tires make a difference between winter/summer

Wheels? Never in the 60+ cars I've owned, 14 cars I've restored, hotrodded, modified, or raced, and the 30+ years I've been working on cars.... have I EVER heard of a "Summer only wheel"... ever.

"Machined aluminum"... means basically "The exact same wheel construction as 98% of every other wheel on the planet"

That sounds like a shitty wheel company, making any excuse they can not to honor a warrantee. Perhaps they apply a substandard finish to the wheels, and after a few unhappy customers complained, they instilled a "no warrantee if driven in the winter" clause. Shady. Very shady. Sounds a lot like a company that offers a piggyback tuning ECU, that comes with an "engine warrantee".... but only if you never actually drive the car in any conditions. (ahem)
I'd be happy to agree with you but I've heard the same thing from two other wheel suppliers now. The rim in question is from DAI Art Replica. They're reputable.

BMW Parts and Accessories

https://pumperformance.com
Appreciate 0