Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by oseldusan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
The car uses ICE when the battery is too cold. At -28 C, my 45e used the ICE for the first 31 km of my trip, but the battery charge was dropping all the time. Fuel consumption was 4.9 l/100 km on a 42 km trip, so I believe the electric motor was assisting almost all the time, although the car said it was using ICE.

Battery range was reported as 33 km when the car switched to electric.

It would be interesting to know how exactly the car works in different situations. And how does the car warm the battery? Can it use the heat from the ICE to warm the battery or is discharging/charging the battery the only way to heat it up?

Is the car able to charge the battery when the car is stationary with the ICE running? For example, if a road is temporarily closed or you are waiting for a ferry, is there a risk of running out of battery?
So I am really disapointed , that preconditioning doesn't mean to warm battery also . Really, really strange , and stupid behaviour. ICE has not been also warm, because it says Full power is not available yet . If it knows , when I am going to use car it should preheat battery, or at least ICE. I can see , that until cca -12C it works normally. No restrictions.
Sorry to say, but I have my car already more than one year and I did not even red about this issue. My dealer also did not told me " Be careful, under -20C it works like normal ICE only ". I would consider to by this car . Luckily , last two years we do not have less that -20C too many time . In the past it has been like 1-2 months here.
It doesn't heat the ICE on preconditioning. But if you program a departure time more than 3 hours before departure it does preheat the battery. But you have to program it.

Heating the ICE is very quick but it takes a few minutes.

Do I understand correctly that you dealer told you that pre conditioning doesn't work below 20 degrees Celsius? I didn't hear about that but we don't have those temperatures.
Appreciate 0