Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysmith21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
It doesn't heat the ICE on preconditioning. But if you program a departure time more than 3 hours before departure it does preheat the battery. But you have to program it.
Hi - can I just double check this? On the i3s, preconditioning set 3 hours or more before departure absolutely warmed the batteries as well. It states that in all the manuals/videos etc.

But does the 45e (and other PHEV’s) definitely warm the battery as well? Or is pre-conditioning just for the cabin?

Only asking as I can’t find any reference to it in the manual and every time I’ve tried to set it I’m convinced that whilst the cabin is warm, the batteries aren’t as the range stays low due to cold temperatures. I also get that blue temperature icon in the display.

Only added bit of info is I haven’t set charging times and always charge immediately.
Only added bit of info is I haven't set charging times and always charge immediately.[/QUOTE]

I think this is why it doesn't preheat the HV battery and only heats the cabin. It takes time and energy to precondition the battery and that only makes sense while plugged in long enough.

The manual says it will only precondition the battery when programmed 3 hours before departure.

As far as I understand. It never preconditions the ICE not even when driving in all electric mode. But once the ICE is turned on it is heated really fast. Preconditioning of the HV battery is only when programmed 3 hours before departure. Pre heating or cooling the cabin can be done any time.
Appreciate 0