View Single Post
      03-04-2021, 06:35 PM   #33
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnbobby View Post
Thanks to everyone for all of the detailed explanations on coding. I am coming from a lifetime of Acura ownership so BMW ECU coding is new to me.

But being a tech geek I understand what the issue is.

Question. Without coding, what then is the advantage of the laser lights vs standard LEDs? Is it just that the high beams are a bit brighter on the lasers? Are the low beam outputs the same?

I’m asking because the only reason I wanted the executive package was the laser lights and my perception that they’re significantly better than the stock LEDs that some with the premium package.

Looking for all opinions. Thanks so much. This seems to be a really passionate owners group. Similar to the groups on Acurazine.
Putting performance aside, many think the laser lights have a much better look to them due to the DRLs and also because both lights on each side have bulbs. With the non-lasers, the inside bulb is a dummy.

The laser lights also give you cornering lights and the non-lasers do not.

As far as performance goes, the laser lights are brighter in high beams even when the laser aren't engaged. Once they are then not only are they even brighter but also more focused on the road ahead.

The non-lasers are brighter in low beam, that is what causes the glare and why they are rated poor by the IIHS.