GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumxee View Post
Wouldn't they be able to check that this was done even if it was removed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by teefive View Post
I'm not sure. I've read about plenty of people with piggybacks who have issues, remove the tune, and get warranty work done. The consensus is that BMW would have to look for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtenedio View Post
theres no real reason a piggyback is detectable once removed.
Just a heads up that BMWNA doesn't have to prove shit to deny warranty coverage (and doesn't).

As you guys probably know, dealerships are independents businesses, not BMW AG or BMWNA, but the service dept gets paid by BMWNA for warranty work, so on the one hand, dealerships are incented to sort of look the other way since they want the business. On the other hand, the dealership probably isn't going to lie if BMWNA starts asking questions, and if BMWNA suspects a tune they can immediately (and for any reason) deny warranty coverage; they're likely not going to conduct an investigation, they'll just deny coverage and let the lawyers deal with it.

I've had many friends get hit with this, and one guy got stuck in the Dinan loop where BMWNA denied coverage due to Dinan (on a new 3 series with a blown engine with 3k miles on it and not a single one driven in anger), Dinan refused coverage until BMWNA documented it was the tune that caused the problem and BMWNA said (he ended up buying a junk yard engine, installing it himself, and selling the car). The Dinan "warranty" isn't really a warranty, it's more of insurance in case BMWNA refuses warranty coverage which, once they do, they always will for the life of the car.

So basically you gotta find a dealer who's not overtly going to tattle on you and hope BMWNA doesn't start asking questions if something big happens.

Last edited by GrussGott; 09-23-2020 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0