View Single Post
      01-11-2019, 08:03 PM   #31
SickFinga
Captain
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
What I am saying exactly. If the manufacturer considers them to be part of the M lineup, they are.
BMW considers them to be part of the M Performance lineup, not part of the M lineup.

Quote:
If you have any problems go and argue with BMW. BMW include m850i in their adverts for M town
BMW has a pretty clear distinction between M cars and M Performance cars. M Performance started out as 'is' cars with the M Sport package, now it's just a top of the line model with standard M Sport package. Simple as that.

Quote:
All M performance cars have their engines modified and tuned by M division as well as their suspensions.
M cars are not "tuned" by M division, they are developed by M division and are manufactured under the BMW M GmbH name where the M Performance cars are manufactured by BMW AG.

Quote:
As posted by a knowledgeable forum member in a similar thread:

'The first M car based on a production vehicle was the E12 M535i; the engine was the same engine found in the E23 7 Series and E24 6 Series. M modifications were mostly confined to the suspension, although the front brake rotors were 3mm thicker. The interior had Recaro seats and a Motorsport wheel. The exterior had a front airdam, rear lip spoiler, cross-spoke BBS wheels and Motorsport striping. No bespoke engine or body panels. It was definitely not a "real" M car by today's standards'.

Those guys that bought the 'M' cars just for the badge and exclusivity; and not the performance would be sorely disappointed by the current nomenclature. I am sorry for your hurt pride. Please blame BMW not me.
E12 M535i is clearly an M car even by today's standards. Before there was even an M535i, BMW Motorsport GmbH was stuffing big engine into E12 for years as part of their performance program. I mean, they were built in Garching at BMW Motorsport GmbH facility. If you said E28 M535i, you would have a point. E28 M5, M636CSi/M6, E34 M5, E36 M3, E31 850CSi, M Roadster/Coupe, E39 M5, none of them had "bespoke" body panels and are true M cars.

Having an M engine doesn't make a BMW an M car (e.g. E30 320is, E23 745i SA, Z8)
Some true M cars do not have an M engine (1 Series M Coupe, N55 powered M2)
Some M cars are not badged as M (E31 850CSi)
Appreciate 3
Law6377.00
Darth One6612.50
F87EVO4004.00