12-22-2022, 11:52 AM   #54
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunker View Post
everything in this post is really impressive, and you deserve a load of credit for having done this work yourself. there's exactly zero chance I could execute this. I'm really impressed with people who can do this kind of thing.

but do I understand correctly you bought counterfeit grilles from AliExpress and you're using your post to promote those counterfeit products?

because, you know, that's fully fucked up, and I'm pretty sure Bimmerpost shouldn't be supporting that activity.
Extremely unlikely that they're counterfeit. Gray market would be a more appropriate term. From my X7 forum post:

Quote:
BMW runs manufacturing operations in China; it's a big market for them. They have a joint venture with a local group and the overall operation is called BMW Brilliance. In general, for things that are manufactured in China, factories will often run a "night shift" where they produce extra units to sell on the gray market. These units be just as good as the official parts, or they may be manufactured with cheaper subcomponents and/or have worse QC. And obviously the Chinese also separately manufacture & export lots of knockoffs and fake goods.

For these specific items that I got, it's hard to say whether they are legitimate or knockoffs. I'm leaning more towards the side of legit, but not sure. Ultimately what matters are the results, and the results are that these sound better than the H/K setup and that the speaker grilles + LED lighting look just like an OEM B&W system. So I'm happy with it and I'd do it again if I got another X7.
Looking at the parts I got from China, they look like legit OEM parts. They have lots of details on the plastic moldings that a knockoff wouldn't bother to replicate. Fit and finish is perfect.
Appreciate 1
omgmike359.00