View Single Post
      12-22-2019, 10:56 AM   #2
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

It's up to your perspective. But I would find a location to have at least a structured wiring cabinet. The cabinet should be of decent size with at least 2 sets of duplex outlets. The cabling should be punched down into a patch panel. All wiring should be at least Cat6 if not Cat6a.

Depending on your house layout, I would look to have a drop placed in the ceiling which provides the besy coverage for each floor of your house to install wireless access points. For the various rooms think about having at least 2 Category cabling drops put in. Consider having conduits placed in the wall to allow for future wiring changes or to install cabling later if you don't do it now. Depending on where you have all the cabling pulled to, consider having a 2" conduit installed to allow easy cabling installs after the fact vertically in the home. My house is 3 levels including the basement. I have a purpose built out server room and a 2" conduit that goes from the basement all the way up to the attic.

Consider putting in RG6 coax at each room that would probably see satellite or cable TV. Although the need is lessened these days with the various providers leveraging wireless to negate the need for coax at any given location.

Those are things off the top of my head. While Category cabling may be in your mind only for data networking, many technologies are leveraging Category cabling such as HDMI extenders.
Appreciate 8