View Single Post
      07-05-2019, 07:24 PM   #3
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
I think you will see similar reports in any forum for any car. This or any other forum is a very small percentage of total owners, and those who participate are highly tuned to all of the nuances of the brand and/or car.

The vast majority of complaints are for iDrive, which is hard to use and the documentation is not great. Most of these complaints are human error. It is nice to have this forum of such knowledgeable people who often know immediately what the problem is and can help you fix it.

For the most part people here have reported very few major engineering problems. The cars drive great with no real reliability problems. IDrive issues are annoying, but generally not incapacitating.

However, I think paying more than twice the base price for this car may not be wise. If you don’t care about the long-term resale value, that is okay. If you do, lots of other cars in that price range will potentially have much better resale/trade value, because people expect to pay that much for that particular car.

The used value of an X5 will always be affected by the initial base price. $59k for 40i, or $74k for the 50i, but even there I’m not sure the higher price of the motor will be reflected at resale time.

You can get a lemon with any brand or model car. It is impossible to avoid all risk in that regard. I think that is why a lot of people buy newer used cars. Costs less and someone else got the kinks out of it. Still a risk, but at a lower cost.

If money is no object, and this is the car you want, it is the best car for you, IMO.
Appreciate 0