03-08-2020, 09:44 AM   #14
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Well said -

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3798j View Post
After winning the 24hrs of LeMans, Alonso praised his co-drivers (and received praise)...plus he spoke of the friendships.

"They have the experience, they taught me a lot about endurance racing, the car, long-distance races…I was the man who asked many questions," admitted Alonso whose performance during the night at the 2018 24 Hours earned praise from Buemi. "This was the key moment at Le Mans. I remember I had a penalty. When I went to bed we were almost a lap down and when I woke up Fernando was just behind the sister car. During the night, we're on the low end of the tire use spectrum and so sometimes it's difficult to make them react. And we know Fernando puts a lot of energy into his tires, which allows him to get the most out of them and be extremely competitive at night. It's about his driving style and it makes the difference compared to daytime conditions."

"There were some windows when it was better and it was not in some others, so we had to find the rightest balance on the track," added Alonso. For the two-time F1 world champion and now two-time Le Mans winner, the next races are Dakar in the Saudi Arabian sand dunes and the the Indianapolis 500 on the oval in the U.S. He holds fond memories of his time in endurance racing. "The friendship with the guys you share the car with and the guys of the other car, all of this is unique and I cannot compare this to anything else. I had no stress because I knew they would to do the right thing when they were at the wheel."
Well said - in Alonzo's own words.