View Single Post
      03-09-2020, 11:40 AM   #11
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Just wrap your key in aluminum foil and attach a grounding wire from the foil down through your first floor and into the basement and then attach the wire to a metal rod that goes through your basement floor into the ground under it about six feet.

Ok, as is normally the case, manufacturers copy one another, so give BMW time and they will change the way their key transmission works. In the meantime, I have a key box that I lined with aluminum foil and that is where all the car keys are kept. However, when I leave the house, they are in my pocket, unprotected. Older keys only sent one signal to unlock and start, I think the X5 uses different frequencies for those functions. I do like the way Land Rover does it better than BMW but we have what we have and if our key is in our pocket when we are out and about, its always on the move and therefore always on.

You can buy a faraday sleeve to put it in, some are a bit bulky, some are very thin and basically amount to the funny aluminum foil trick but look much better. So if you are in a densely populated area, an area with crime, maybe the faraday sleeve will help.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=faraday+k...nb_sb_ss_i_2_8

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50