Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
This can actually do the opposite and fog the car. Only rarely in winter is the defogger needed. IMO this is why the F sereis cars smell like fucking rancid mildew, because there is constant AC condensation in the vents and harbors a great home for foul smelling things. I make sure to dry out my vents every time I turn on A/c and randomly Ill get a foul smell. Car is under 10k. Fuckin joke.
AC is a dehumidifier. It can't cause condensation, it gets rid of it. Condensation occurs when you turn off the AC. Which is why you shouldn't really ever turn it off. I've addressed this issue in another post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
This can actually promote mold and mildew growth which increases the chances of bad smelly AC if you do it too soon before you turn off your car. When you blow non-conditioned air through the vents, you are introducing relatively humid air to the interior of the air ducts. The ducts are still relatively cold from the previous use of air conditioning. As the ducts warm, they collect moisture from the warmer, humid air on the inside and condensation forms on the interior. If you leave the air on long enough, it might cause the condensation to evaporate, but if you turn the car off, the condensation remains, and you can introduce mold and mildew. Note that it takes MUCH MUCH longer for the condensation to evaporate than it did to form. You would have to turn your AC off a very long time for you to ensure that it all evaporates.

Alternatively, if you leave the AC on before you turn off the car, the air in the ducts are relatively low humidity. That means when the ducts start to get warmer, there is significantly less condensation on the inside of the ducts because the air is conditioned aka dry. Note that the condensation on the exterior of the ducts is less of a problem because even if mold and mildew grow on the exterior of the duct, our HVAC air runs through the interior, thus no smell.

So, if you had to chose between turning your AC off or leaving it on... it's almost always better to just leave it on and leave it on always. Remember, moisture is bad, and AC is basically a dehumidifier.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0