Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Days 11-20:
Stationary in Orlando, Florida
Part 1 of 4

So, I intentionally started this journal about a week after I actually started my travels. Primarily, I did this because my first stop after PCD at Greenville, South Carolina, is Orlando, Florida, where I'll be spending about 10 days. I'm doing a conference, plus multiple days of Disney World.

Instead of boring you for 10 days with stuff from the conference, and day after day of Disney, I'm going to consolidate Orlando down to 3 or so parts, showing the best. For anyone that might want to skip Orlando and get back to the driving parts, (or for anyone definitively avoid spoilers about Disney World and Star wars) you could jump ahead to day 21.

This means that as of tomorrow or so, I'll be caught up and posting truly live, whatever the adventure is of that day.

But there will be more than just Disney, there will be LEGO, and good food, and lots of Star Wars. I don't think I'm the only one here with eclectic tastes in other fun things. There's a ton to sort through in 10 days, so I'm just going to throw a lot of stuff here, and then come back and refine it as I'm able.

My G05 X5, parked next to the previous model X5 at the conference. Styling difference apparent in the rear.

I found this pretty cool about the G05. (The X7 doesn't fully do this). Lifting up the rear trunk (boot) floor, there are these nice instructions underneath. (also note my spare tire there I ordered)

The retractable cargo cover fits under the floor there. Nice fit.

Okay, let's do some Disney World!

First stop, as a warm-up, Disney Springs. This is a restaurant and shopping area in WDW, fun for an evening of walking and light activities.

People have been raving about Gideon's Bakery, particularly the cookies, so I thought I'd see what the fuss is about. Got in line--but no, you have to go up to the front door and put your name on a waiting list first.

... which was 4.5 hours.

Four...

... and a half...

hours...

For a cookie.

Yes, that's right. And then when you're called, after 4.5 hours, THEN you get to get in the line to enter the place. The line stretches across the entire left side of that picture, if you can see.

For the heck of it, I put my name on the list, but didn't get called until 10:45 at night, when I was already driving back to my condo. I don't need a cookie that much, no matter how good it is.

Next was the LEGO store. One of the larger ones out there, that is at least supposed to have all the current LEGO models, although a few were out of stock.

There's some awesome sculptures outside the store, all made entirely out of LEGO bricks.

To my knowledge, LEGO only makes one BMW set, and it's the motorcycle currently available.

Had to get a proper keychain for the new BMW key, of course.

And the Disney Springs store offers a unique LEGO experience, where you can design and build your own custom LEGO minifigure. I felt it most appropriate to make something commemorating this massive BMW road trip. I love it.

They didn't have the BMW roundel as a stock image, and I'm sure if I tried to freehand draw it in the design program, it would have come out terrible. This is fun enough.

The main reason I went to Disney Springs, though, was for this place, Raglan Road, an Irish pub and restaurant.

I love all things Irish. Ireland is my favorite country outside of the USA.

This is totally my jam. "Whiskey in the Jar" on the 2nd video. No, Metallica did not sit in, on this one.

Soda bread served with a honey Guinness reduction. I love ciders, so this is a Kopparberg cider. On the sweet side, but delicious.

Braised beef. Nice and soft, with some good flavors, but on the dry side tonight.

After the conference ended, hit my first Disney park. On the way in, saw this billboard which cracked me up. How very 'Murica.

Or at the very least, very Florida.

First park, the Magic Kingdom, for "Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party". (MNSSHP). This is a specially ticketed event that takes place on certain nights, leading up to Halloween. The park is transformed with Halloween decorations and special events, including trick or treating for those who want to binge on candy.

Magic Kingdom is also the most complicated park to get to, as it's the only one without its own dedicated parking lot. You have to park at the Transportation Center and take a monorail, which is fun, albeit time consuming with extra walking.

The monorail also goes through the middle of the Contemporary Resort building. As a kid, I thought this was the coolest thing, having a monorail go right through your hotel, and always wanted to stay at the Contemporary someday. But as an adult, I've come to appreciate the benefits of a bigger condo, so I've never stayed there.

Main Street is always a treat to see as you enter the park, with Cinderella's Castle framed at the end.

Disney is also celebrating 50 years this year, with special things and decorations.

The Haunted Mansion is a must-do for a Halloween party, of course.

There are a couple evening Halloween parades

Hey, we are a car forum here, after all. Had to do the speedway for some driving fun.

And of course there's an evening show and fireworks spectacular, with a Halloween show projected onto Cindy's castle that is very well done.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!

Last edited by Wild Blue; 10-24-2022 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 8
KRS_SN13650.50
Edwardsc1252.50
P111576.50
NickJ31.50
mjn771072.50