View Single Post
      06-13-2020, 11:51 AM   #15
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Funny you mention the intake. I had the "K&N" discussion with the tuner, and he actually recommended NOT to buy them when they come available. He said that he's actually seen several instances where the oil in the filter was detrimenting the performance of the engine. Now.... I've read this before, so I've always been careful not to over-oil my filters, but he said these new high-end German cars have such well engineered intakes, that anything aftermarket generally yields virtually no gains.

I remember a long time ago trying to "grasp" all the different ways HP is measured, and my brain was fried. Crank vs. Wheel vs. All-wheel vs. Mustang dyno vs. Dynojet vs. Ambient air temp vs. Wheel diameter vs. wheel weight vs. Vehicle weight vs. Local altitude vs. Gear ratio.... I've even heard the "viscosity of the oil and transmission fluid" used as arguments.... LOL. It was exhausting.

Ultimately, it's the 0-60, 1/4 mile, and 1/2 mile times that mattered. I'm working on procuring an app I can use to measure those effectively. In the meantime, I have absolutely no doubt that all 3 of the above have been dramatically improved.

The "smile on face and butthole pucker factor" has been worth it for me.... lol
The argument has always been that oiled filters can sling and mess up the MAF. That said, I have not seen many, if any, real world issues. BMC does dry filters too I think if some want to go that route. Either way, I have never had a MAF issue with oiled filters and I have modded everything including the kitchen sink. 😂

WHP matters because it is the only thing performance cares about. As they say, it isn’t what you engine makes, it’s what it can put to the ground. The difference is parasitic loss through your drivetrain. Each vehicle is different but generally the parasitic loss is larger in AWD. That makes that 640 AWHP all that more impressive. The N63B is putting down some sick numbers.
Appreciate 0