BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
RK Tunes is a US tuning shop in the northeast. Jordan is their tuner. They ran intake, downpipes, and exhaust to get those numbers. This is DI, so no need for fuel system upgrades. I believe virtually all of the power gains are catless downpipes stacked round the tune. Virtually all the tuners believe the stock intake is sufficient with a better filter. Removing the charcoal seems wide as well, but no dyno to offer true insight yet.
Funny you mention the intake. I had the "K&N" discussion with the tuner, and he actually recommended NOT to buy them when they come available. He said that he's actually seen several instances where the oil in the filter was detrimental to the performance of the engine. Now.... I've read this before, so I've always been careful not to over-oil my filters, but he said these new high-end German cars have such well engineered intakes, that anything aftermarket generally yields virtually no gains.

I remember a long time ago trying to "grasp" all the different ways HP is measured, and my brain was fried. Crank vs. Wheel vs. All-wheel vs. Mustang dyno vs. Dynojet vs. Ambient air temp vs. Wheel diameter vs. wheel weight vs. Vehicle weight vs. Local altitude vs. Gear ratio.... I've even heard the "viscosity of the oil and transmission fluid" used as arguments.... LOL. It was exhausting.

Ultimately, it's the 0-60, 1/4 mile, and 1/2 mile times that mattered. I'm working on procuring an app I can use to measure those effectively. In the meantime, I have absolutely no doubt that all 3 of the above have been dramatically improved.

The "smile on face and butthole pucker factor" has been worth it for me.... lol
Hi 914,

Thanks for sharing!

I agree with you that the intakes themselves are well designed, and don't need to be modified or messed with. But, the stock filters are GARBAGE. Especially you M50i guys with the charcoal filters too. I've run K&N filters in quite a few cars including the G05 with no issues thus far. Hopefully they come up with a filter for the TU3 for you guys to run...
Appreciate 0