01-09-2019, 02:47 AM   #29
EJELITE
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 S5 cab | 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyBMW2 View Post
Getting tired of comments regarding Chinese build quality. Look around you. Almost everything, including the computer or mobile device you use to visit bimmerpost, bimmerfest, or any what nots are made in China or contains parts that are Made in China.

The engine is not made in China. If you have done some research you would see that XC60s built in China are of better quality compared to the ones built in Sweden. At least what owners are saying in the forums.

Have you driven a new Volvo with the supercharged/turbocharged 4 Cylinder yet? Feels quicker than my 2012 E70. The transmission on the X5 does feel a lot better though.

The build quality in my 2018 XC90 is exceptional. The materials are on par compared to BMW.

I had my XC90 for 7 months now and no rattles so far. My E90 had the center console rattle after a month along with a couple of other small rattles, E92 had the seatbelt butler rattle, E70 had the tailgate, 2nd row seat rattle and developed an annoying suspension knock after 2 years, which BMW could not fix. It eventually went away after I replaced the front brakes and performed the TSB.

E92 came with misaligned hood. E70 came all 4 doors misaligned, 3rd brake light misaligned, and driver side mirror with a piece chipped off of the top left corner. XC90 has almost perfect fit and finish. Nothing misaligned.

The BMW dealers were able to fix those quality issues, but it shouldn't arrive from the factory this way. Not sure how it missed QC. After the E70, I came to believe that it's the norm. Aside from the build quality issues, all 3 BMWs were very reliable. I loved all 3 of them. I would definitely get another BMW in the future. BMW just didn't have what fit my criteria when I got the XC90. I considered the Q7 and was very close to getting it but the 3rd row is useless.
Coming from a former XC90 owner, you basically summed up every single one of my thoughts. All this XC90 bashing from a bunch of folks who likely have never driven one further than 5 miles (if at all), let alone owned one for several years. I had one of the very first production XC90's in Canada, and I can say it was one of the least problematic vehicles I've ever owned. A lot of people must have already forgotten about the 'buggy mess' complaints on their G05's; doesn't the forum poll show close to 50% of us G05 owners are having issues already???

Our old E70 was a rattly, creaky disaster after a year. Both the X164 and X166 GL's were even worse at 1yr than the E70. My S5 has a meager 35k kms and rattles like a 1990 Ford F150 farm truck. All the above vehicles had numerous warranty issues with electronics and fit/finish right off the get go, and it was a bloody fight trying to get any cosmetic problems addressed at BMW, Merc, and Audi.

The XC90 was a game changer for the mid size segment and we can all thank Volvo for forcing the Germans to up their interior standards on the G05, because Volvo simply blew every offering out of the water in 2016. The G05 is a very good SUV, but its also 3 years newer than the current gen XC90, so it SHOULD have an edge on it simply for that fact. I was in a buddy's 'new' 2018 GLE43 the other day and that is like a dinosaur compared to our G05's and the XC90, BUT as it should be - its 7yr old technology. Like I said in a previous post, I would have bought another XC90 other than the fact I get bored of looking at the same dashboard after 3 years, so I needed something at least as good, and the only contender out there was/is the G05.
Appreciate 0