jersey john
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedesc View Post
It's mainly the T8 models that have issues. I don't think it has to do with Geely not having their hearts and minds into it, they've provided Volvo with money so that Volvo can put out designs they've made in concepts cars for so long. Ford acted as a parasite to the company as they took a lot of the profits Volvo made and sold them once Volvo started bringing in less money.

I think the reason for all the issues is the technology and big step advancements. Volvo went from manufacturing cars on a platform that was built in 1998 (partly by Ford) to a whole new platform called SPA, which most their cars are built on, while also offering way more equipment than before. Most XC90 issue comes in the form of software glitches which plague many SPA cars particularly T8 models. Also the air suspension has proved to be unreliable on many 2016-17 cars. I haven't had issues on my 2019, which makes sense as I don't have air suspension and the software issues have been ironed out on the new models.
As someone who used to work for Volvo, and have driven a couple of XC90s, I can say that it is a really nice vehicle. I'm currently cross-shopping it with the G05 myself. One of my big hang-ups with it have already been mentioned here: the engine, even with the Polestar tune, is coarse and underpowered for the size. Even though the T6 weighs 500 lbs less, it seems like it has to work harder than the outgoing 5 & 6 Cylinder engines shared with Ford. My other gripe is with the infotainment. I'm more of a tactile person when I'm driving; I need to know that I can touch something without taking my hands off the wheel. BMWs iDrive seems to satisfies that need more than Volvo's Sensus.

Good luck with whatever your dad decides.

I feel like every day is the Kobayashi Maru and my name's not James T. Kirk
Appreciate 0